JUNE 5, Monday.
OKay, Sam has tagged me to participate in this meme about 'six strange things about me".
This is the beginning of my new year and in looking back I guess I have certain idiosyncresies
that I take for granted. Yes, I know, even years ago people would said "You're weird, Wynn!" So that's me. Weird.
It started this morning:
1. Sometimes I'm absent minded and this morning I caught myself slathering hair gel on my face instead of face cream. Duh!
2. I whistle and hum a lot -- all the time. When I walk, I whistle/hum and sometimes walk with my hands behind my back and my head down. I inherited this trait from my Dad. Sometimes people turn into their Moms. I have in some respects, but mostly I've turned into my Dad. I hum and walk head-down, with my hands behind my back while I meditate.
3. If you heard me talk to my bird (my cockatiel Cheeky) you'd think I was nuts. I have a strange birdie baby-talk I use with him. And I constantly chatter to him. No wonder he's so vocal and chatty himself. He's away at the bird sitters this weekend and I still find myself talking out loud as if he's here. "Where's my little birdie-wirdie?" and silly stuff like that.
4. I usually have a set routine every morning when I get up: go to the toilet, rinse my face off with cold water, brush teeth, turn on computer and radio, dress, make bed, put coffee on. If I digress from my routine (forget to make the bed, for instance) I'm discombobulated the rest of the morning.
5. I usually always follow the exact same path when I go to the Drive for errands or shopping. I could walk it with my eyes closed. I do the same routines on the Drive too -- always walk up on the same side of the street and back on the opposite side for part way, then cross over. I do my errands and stop at the Calabria coffee shop. There's other coffee shops but I'm a creature of habit and I like the Calabria best. I always order either a latte but more likely an iced tea. And often I order a Franks Special or House Special sandwich. (Heaven forbid if I ever asked for pizza instead!) When I am in Athens, Greece, I also follow the same routes all the time and in my mind I can imagine them each step of the way, every broken piece of pavement, every place where someone has parked their motor-bike on the sidewalk. I can walk those paths blind-folded.
6. I also have a set routine (except when it's pouring rain) when I got uptown for my Thurs. morning Memoir group, afterwards I walk back up the side street to exactly the same cross-street, go over to Robson, the main street, always walk up the same side of the street til I get to the hot-dog vendors. Order a Smokie with fried onions on which I put mustard and saurkraut, get a can of iced tea and walk over to the Art Gallery benches to sit and eat my lunch. After our stretch of cold wet weather I couldn't find my usual hot-dog vendor. So for a couple of weeks I didn't follow this routine, which bothered me. Last week I found him, on the opposite side of the street. So I got the smokie and iced tea and felt like I was back on track again! (though I'm still a bit perturbed that he's changed his location!)
Well, there's six kind of 'strange' things about me. I guess we all get stuck in our ways the older we get. And as I just celebrated my birthday (one of the Big Ones -- yikes!) I feel I'm entitled to my little weirdnesses.
And on a final note: How come when the rule is "I before E except after C" the word "Weird" has those two letters switched around. And how come I just noticed this?
OK, that's it...now I'm tagging Di, Deb, Scott and Gabriele
Go for it, you weirdos!