Friday, June 02, 2006

OFF TO THE ISLAND

THURSDAY, June 1

Tomorrow afternoon my writer's group and I are off to Mayne Island for one of our bi-annual retreats. I'm really looking forward to it. It's going to be a special weekend because it's my birthday and on Saturday night we're having a Gemini birthday party.

I've been celebrating Gemini birthdays for a number of years now -- probably since at least '78. It's always a gala occasion and anyone who is a Gemini is invited to join in the fun along with other friends. I've had parties on the beach, at home (often theme parties), in Greece we had a weiner roast (or 'boil' as we couldn't have a fire) up on Filopappou Hill and once at the Pynx.
This one has a theme: come as your alter ego or twin in literature or poetry (character or author.) I toyed with the idea of Peter Pan but don't have any green duds. Marilyn Monroe would be my alter-ego but I don't have a slinky sexy dress or blonde wig. So I'm going as Jack Kerouac, the literary hero of my youth. ( I always wanted to write like him.) We have to take readings along to introduce our character.

There will be party games and writer's exercises and all the usual party treats, treat bags, balloons, and other fun stuff. I'm hoping to find a pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey game.

As well, we always go on special hikes (I hope the rain stops!) and do all sorts of interesting and fun things related to writing. It's always a highlight of our year when we go to Mayne so we're looking forward to it. It's disappointing though that none of the new members are joining us so we'll be a small group this time. It's the one thing that makes our group unique -- the retreats -- so it's kind of a let-down when the new members don't participate. Maybe next time!

No comments: