Thursday, March 17, 2005

A RANT ABOUT CELL PHONES

Just something to rant about...Why don't they make a rule about people carrying on long, loud conversations on their cell phones in public places, in particular on public transit? It is so invasive and annoying!
Recently, two incidents just put me right off. On my way to my nightschool class a young woman sat across the aisle on the bus from me and she yelled so loud into her cell that it was like someone clanging a large pair of cymbals in my ear. I couldn't believe it! Are the people on the other end of the line deaf? Do these cell-show-offs think it's cool to let everyone on the bus in on their private conversations?
On my way home, after class, I am usually quite tired from two and a half hours of teaching and just want to chill out and relax for the long bus ride home. When I got on the bus last night there was a young girl talking on her cell. I sat a few seats in front of her. She carried on a loud non-stop conversation for the entire trip (more than half an hour) and was still yakking non-stop when she stepped off the bus at my stop, and walked up the street. Did the person on the other end of the line have a chance to get a word in edge-wise? I don't think so. The gal kept up a steady stream of loud chatter the entire time hardly taking a breath. I turned around a couple of times and looked at her (hint, hint) but these ignoramuses are oblivious to the fact they are annoying other people. It got to the point where I felt like yelling at her to shut up. I wonder why the bus drivers don't say something? Surely it must bother them too when they are trying to concentrate on driving.
I know there are good uses for cells. But frankly I don't think that they ought to be allowed in public places or on public transportation except for emergency calls or brief messages to say "I'll call you back as soon as I'm off the bus."
Cranky? I don't think so. I think if enough people registered complaints something would be done about it. After all there are some restaurants, theatres etc where they forbid the use of cells. And recently they are trying to make laws about using cells while driving. I have this happen to me so many times, even on long-distance buses, and it makes for a very unpleasant trip. Hey, you people who use cell phones. Have some consideration for your fellow passengers and passers-by. Tone it down and make it brief.

No comments: